Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, January 16, 2004

So I read Genesis 27-28 today. Once again, it seems that God's chosen people are no more righteous than those unchosen. Dysfunctional is probably too strong a word to describe this family. It all started with Isaac's wife Rebekah who favored one of her two twins. Was it looks? Obviously, Esau seemed to be the more assertive and athletic one. Yet, he seemed to have been victimized on more than one occasion - something that he was entitled to was skimmed from him. Yes, I have heard in sermons before that Esau should have known better than to barter a birthright (certainly an asset much more valued then) to satisfy his appetite. None the less, it appears that Jacob gets his schemingness from his mom. As I read on, he flat out lied to his father more than once to get his blessing, going as far as disguising himself and taking advantage of his deteriorating eyesight. Yet, he was the one who got Isaac's blessing. Fine, Jacob went on into hiding and was later tricked himself. But I guess the point is that why have I tried to live my life modelling myself after the "righteous" in the Bible. God's choice is sovereign and is not influenced by our works or motivations.

This whole idea that God has already chosen can then explain quite a bit of my life. The feelings of not belonging have been strong lately. I feel like Esau. I can work my tail off and think that I am entitled to His blessings, but His will has been set. Have I already exchanged a birthright for a meal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home