Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, October 23, 2004

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU SIGH...

One doesn't have to look or observe hard to see or hear something which just makes you sigh. I was in a Christian bookstore a couple of nights ago, picking up a gift for a family friend. The line up to check out was short and there was only one other person in front of me. Being in such close proximity, I could hear the conversation between the customer and the cashier. The customer was picking up a couple of books. She had a coupon which provided 20% off. The cashier explained that the coupon could only apply to one item. The customer thought for a moment, and told the cashier that she didn't want one of the books. But before she finished the sentence, she indicated that her husband was waiting in the car. She said that he also wanted to purchase a book, and quickly whipped out her cell phone. A few minutes later, a man walked reluctantly into the store. You see, the discount could apply to separate purchases. Now, here's the kicker: while the cashier was ringing through the second discounted transaction, the female customer chimed "See, he is good for something!"

As a struggle through this period of hardship, I constantly wrestle with the ideas of abandonment, rejection, valuation, and loneliness. It's kind of dejecting as I try to crawl out of this when I see things like this around me - absolute abuse of that which I am aspiring to. First of all, it is a Christian bookstore, which kind of implies that you are probably of some strong faith to want to patronize here. So why make such a big deal over a discount something that is, what I view, a ministry - should we tithe minus 20%? But if that's not enough, to use the marriage as a tool of convenience to find a loop hole? And the last comment that the customer made really drove the nail home for me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home