Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, March 16, 2007

MY VISIT TO HEAVEN...

Once again, I find myself blessed with the opportunity of going to Whistler for some sick riding! Rather than making the incredibly crazy (and incredibly dangerous) drive, we decided to fly to Vancouver and then get driven up to the resort. Of course, a seat sale also helped to make this mode of transportation easier.

The moment we landed in Vancouver, it was raining. It rained during the entire drive up to the resort and pretty much all of the next 2 days. A rain jacket wasn't an item I even contemplated bringing. Yet, as we got up to the heavenly heights of the runs, all that precipitation turned to snow. It was a little wet but very ridable. The temperatures dropped after the second day and it stopped raining. The slush from the previous day turned into ice and this made for some interesting riding. Instead of giving up, we rode up the other mountain and discovered that conditions can vary greatly from one peak to the other. It's about persistence and the willingness to ride on different terrains. Overall, it was a great trip and I'm glad I got in 4 solid days of riding before having to head back to Calgary. The great thing about Whistler is that it's not just about the awesome riding. There is a whole other schedule once that board comes off: the apres-ski at Zog's (yes, had the artery clogging Great Canadian poutine, TWICE!) or Old Spaghetti Factory (I've never seen such a huge nacho platter before), the walking around the village and, of course, the dinners at various restaurants (another amazing dinner at Sushi Village).











Although it may appear that I'm getting some sick air, in fact, I'm sitting on a slope with my board's tail resting into the snow. Still, I think it's a nice shot...










My riding partner, D.










View from a chairlift.











My helmet resting in the snow, contrasting the awesome cliff behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home