Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, September 09, 2007

CHECK YOUR APPLICATION!

Our group is growing again and I find myself sifting through resumes to find suitable candidates to interview. One, with an attached cover letter, came across my desk. I couldn't help but share this with my manager. Boy, when he got a hold of it, it made its way around the entire group pretty fast. Goes to show that one's lack of attention to detail can be another's source of chuckling. You see, this applicant was one of those accountants who actually HAS a designation!

Candidate Name: xxxxxxxxxxxx
EPCOR Employee: no
Comments: I moved to Calgary to work asa coat accountnat, but the job was not as described. I am available for work. I expect to earn $60K+ per year.

Application received: Wed., September 5, 2007 08:24:42


So, we figured if any of us ever lost our coats, we know that there is someone out there to help us find it!!

Speaking of designated accountants, I began my CMA journey today. 22 gruelling full day classes, 5 tests and then I might be ready to challenge their entrance exam to actually get into the program. I met one guy today who felt lucky to just make it to class. He just had laser surgery and still had trouble focusing on things that are about 10 feet away. I was intrigued because the majority of my life has been lived having to deal with contact lenses and clumsy glasses. He then said something that kinda blew me away: "For another couple hundred, they'll give you new tear ducts". Blink-blink. No, literally I blinked because my eyes were dry. I never had this problem before in Toronto but Calgary is a very dry place, proven by the number of hand lotion bottles scatter throughout my house, in my car and at the office. My eyes have taken the brunt of it and I also have a number of eye drop bottles kicking around. But who would've thought that you can get new tear ducts?! So cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home