Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, February 03, 2005

OMNISCIENT DEFINED

I got this through email today:

“But She’s Okay Now!”by John Fischer

Instant healing, that’s what my friend said I performed. Of course he was just kidding, but that’s what it seemed like to him.
We were talking on the phone and I realized I hadn’t told him that a co-worker of mine, someone he knew casually, had been undergoing a 9-month bout with cancer. Ironically, however, I had also just heard days before that after numerous chemo treatments, she had been proclaimed clear of cancer. (All visible signs of the cancer that had infiltrated several areas of her body, including her bone marrow, were completely gone.) I hadn’t really figured out how to talk about this to someone who wasn’t aware of her ordeal at all, so it came out rather oddly.


Something like: “I don’t think I ever told you that Sheryl has been fighting cancer for some time now.”

“Oh, no. I’m so sorry to hear that.” I could sense his emotions starting to wrap around this reality, so as to not have him to go too far with unnecessary sympathies, I quickly interjected, "But she’s okay now!” There was a pause. “Wow, that was the quickest healing I’ve ever heard of,” he said laughing. “John,” he went on, “you just healed someone right in front of me!” We enjoyed a good laugh over this, but later I got to thinking, there’s something to learn here. In a way, you could say my friend got the God’s eye view of Sheryl’s suffering. Sheryl’s view was quite different. She got the day to day assault on her body with anti-cancer treatment and all it’s resulting consequences, and she got the day to day uncertainty as to whether any of this was going to do any good. Now this, too, was God’s view, because through the Holy Spirit, He goes through every step of our pain with us. The Holy Spirit even prays for us in groans we cannot even utter (Romans 8:26)! But God also has this other view: “But she’s okay now!” He knew that all along. From God’s point of view our struggles are over that fast. He knows what He’s doing. He knows why things happen, even if we never do. He has His purposes, and that’s what faith is all about: believing this when we’re stuck in the long haul. All along the way God knows the outcome. And I suppose there is a way you could say this was true for all of us who put our trust in God for whatever we are going through, and whatever the outcome, including even death itself. God sees it completed. His healing is instant. His comment is always going to be the same: “But she’s okay now!”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home