Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, January 07, 2005

THESE IMAGES ARE TOOGOOD (as in the pond)

I look at the images smiling back at me. I am reminded of a bright, sunny day in May, not too long ago. There's one that I remember from the train tracks. Long since used for trains, it seems neglected, yet it serves as a beautiful backdrop for the even more beautiful bride and groom. The rest of us are there, guys with jackets slung over their shoulders, and the girls, beaming with joy as we stand proud on either side. I see another image of just the "boys". This one was probably taken just outside of the park. We're standing in front of the limo, looking very casual, yet smiling very purposefully for the shot. Oh yeah, there's another image of just me. This one is in the restaurant. I'm delivering my best man's speech. I really don't remember anyone taking pictures at that time.

So, I put these pictures up. What am I doing? I ask myself. I don't even have pictures of my own wedding up, so isn't it odd that I put up pictures of someone else's? But then I think that it's not about that at all. It's about what these images represent: that happiness and true love do exist as blessings from God and here's proof. It's like an unexpected answer to my constant groaning. It's a reminder that I've focused too long on the painful side of life, allowing cynicism and hopelessness to infect my spirit.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home