Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Monday, February 28, 2005

REVELATION THROUGH WORSHIP

I attended The Attic last night, a praise and worship night put on by The Meeting House the last Sunday of each month. Wow. I was reminded that the human voice was not created for talking, despite how good we’ve become at wielding it, but for the sole purpose of praising. There is something very precise, almost mathematical, that occurs when voices and instruments come together in complex harmonies and rhythms. My body was literally quivering when all these things intersected together so intensely. Yet, it had nothing to do with the band, because it was not the tightest band that I’ve heard before, nor was the mix anything special. Time stopped and it was just Him and I; all the other musical elements were serving as the perfect backdrop. I couldn’t help but bellow out in praise. My voice is still hoarse even now. Even though a hoarse voice can result from screaming at the top of my voice, experiencing true worship seems to only be achieved through in intentional aiming of physical, emotional, and spiritual desire.

Why do I automatically assume that a homeless person is needy? I think I’m guilty of perceiving the homeless person according to what I have or am used to. Based on this comparison, I conclude that since the homeless person doesn’t possess what I have (e.g. a home, clean clothes, a car) that I am, by default, in a higher position to change this person’s current situation. What is lacking is dialogue, it being replaced by a condescending mentality (“Let ME help YOU”). When, in fact, I may be the one that is MORE in need: the need to be emancipated from my slavery to materialism, debt, and the need for social acceptance. So, I give the homeless person a loony. Or a granola bar. Or a sandwich and juice box once a month. I can easily find ways to sweep aside the shocking truth that I am the one in need. Because I can, I buy my way out of this uncomfortable situation, as I’ve been taught by my society to respond to all uncomfortable situations. Or I decide to put on my combat gear to ‘evangelize’ this person. It must be because this person hasn’t accepted Jesus that has put him in this situation, right? Hey, once he becomes a Christian, he will be redeemed from his life of dirtiness, spite and poverty. Instead, I can proudly usher him into a life of rhetoric, church politics, and puff. Mmmm. Interesting how a spending some meaningful time with God can really open your eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home