Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, October 22, 2005

ALBERTA IS THE BEEF CAPITAL...

I've discovered that the people in my office are really into beef burgers. On Thursday, one of the directors announced that the new price of natural gas transmission was being released in about 10 minutes. He made a guess at what this price would be and invited everyone (all 18 people that were in the pit that morning) to make a call (over or under). Most of us guessed over and he took down the "bets". Well, the price came out and was higher than he predicted. So, then he went around taking burger orders! So, at 8:30 in the morning, a colleauge and I (since I'm the new peon, I get to go do the burger run) trek through the "+15" (which is an indoor network of connected pathways - similar to the underground PATH in T.O.) to Burger Burger, where I picked up 18 Texas burgers and juice. The next day, one of the V.P.'s had a craving for burgers at another joint (Pete's) and did another burger order. This time, we also got milkshakes and onion rings or fries. At 9 in the morning!! I passed on the fries but had a single cheesburger, which consisted of one and a half patties. Most of the others in the office ordered double or triple burgers. Man, I need to pick up my workout routine if this keeps up (I was told not to turn down free food!).

END OF THE FIRST WEEK
My brain hasn't been so sore since MBA. Every day, I've been introduced to many new trading concepts. I'm learning about reserves, outages, dispatches, syndicates and hedges, just to name a few. Each concept has complex calculations, formulas and graphs associated with it. Every night, so far, has been spent studying these things, and I've got homework for the weekend as well. At times, I almost panic that I won't be able to comprehend these concepts but after more review, it's coming to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home