Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

GO WEST YOUNG MAN!

Well, I am off to Calgary! This decision is both an exciting and anxious one. Exciting because of the prospect of being in a new place and starting on a new adventure. Anxious because I've never uprooted before, leaving behind a tight network of family and friends. Regardless of how things turn out, I made a choice and realize that many good outcomes can occur. More importantly, it was made with the support of my community through sharing and praying.

There is value in involving community whenever faced with what appears to be a large, life-altering decision. You receive perspectives and insights that you might not have otherwise. At the same time, the decision should not be made based solely on popular opinion. Rather, others' views should help to compliment or validate a decision that one derives internally. Answers don't come to me in the form of supernatural signs. I need to rely on informed intuition which is either positively or negatively affirmed by the dialogue I have with those around me. At the end of the day, the level of peace that I feel with ONE CHOICE is the tipping point. Perhaps it is my upbringing that has previously nagged at me for not waiting long enough for a "sign" because that's how it supposed to work, right? Pray hard enough and God will give an answer, the right answer. If you don't get an answer, it means that you haven't prayed hard enough, or done enough good deeds, or...whatever. Well, it's the wrong approach. He's not trying to mess with your head and your heart, making you guess the secret password that will unlock His treasure chest of blessings. It's this: get to know the Father's heartbeat and that should guide you in making a decision. BUT MAKE A DECISION. I think He understands that I have limited access to pure information and my decisions may lead to different outcomes. Well, He'll be there when I celebrate the joys of that decision or suffer the consequences of that decision. What I do know is that I can be a blessing either way. Kind of wish that someone told me this earlier on in life, as it would have saved a lot of grief agonizing over different life choices, second guessing myself as to whether or not I was doing "the will of God". His will is that I CHOOSE.

I can't say that I'm too sad about being so close to the Rockies. I learned a lot about worship in the midst of Creation while in New Zealand. Despite it still being great beach volleyball weather, I find myself thinking more and more about riding this winter. That will be a good mind distraction as I start climbing a mountain of a different type: finding a place in Calgary, getting all my stuff packed here and basically tying up loose ends.


p.s. I WILL ALWAYS BE A LEAF FAN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home