Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, January 14, 2006

SEEING THE TREES AMONG THE TREES

If my tires were able to speak, they would probably be groaning about why they are treading on bare roadways, often having to endure warmer temperatures than which they were intended. I really have no choice, since I discarded the over-expired Yokohamas back in Toronto (thank you for 120,000 of reliable kilometers!) There was a slight sprinkling of snow these past few days, but nothing substantial. Not like the 63cm of snow they just fell at Sunshine in the past week!

A recent trip to Whitecourt (about an hour west of Edmonton) saw some of my colleagues and I arrive at Millar Western Forest Products, a pulp and sawmill that happens to be one of our syndicate partners. Although I was impressed by how advanced this mill was (each log that comes into the sawmill is scanned by a computer, which determines how to maximize the number of cuts and which cuts are most profitable based on real time market information – for example, if 2 x 4’s are more profitable than 2 x 6’s, that will be the choice cut). What was saddening was when they showed us the “yard” where all the logs were stored. As far as my eyes could see, piles and piles of logs were stacked about 30 feet high. And as fast as the automated crane could pile these things onto the loading machines to feed into the mill, logging trucks continuously arrived with more. I thought back to my tree planting experience in Northern Ontario where the company I worked for had won a contract from the Ministry of Natural Resources for a reforestation project. I quickly learned that we weren’t “reforesting” for the sake of preserving nature, but it was an attempt to replenish what was taken by companies such as the one I was now visiting. It was all part of a rotating cycle: log and plant, log and plant. And it was tough work: a day where I could plant 250 trees was a good day. But looking at this city of logs, I wondered how many tree-planters and how many years it would take to keep this going. Every paper product that anyone uses in this country probably has derivates from this plant (our tour guide jokingly encouraged us to always use gratuitous amounts of toilet paper, paper towels, and computer paper, lest the company experience its first down quarter). Ironically, the Millar Western plant in Saskatchewan (which is partly owned by that province) just recently declared bankruptcy protection. Depletion of resources or depletion of demand?

I just signed up for a library card. Sure, at $12 a year, that might seem like a rip off for a “public” library system (similar to how “public health” now costs me $44 a month). But I am so happy that this also gives me access to some amazing resources. During B-school days, my student-ship allowed me access to a wealth of journals, articles and newspapers from all over the world. Well, with this library card, I can sign on to all these same resources, like EBSCO, ERIC, MEDLINE, etc. They have articles from the Harvard Business Review and an amazing collection of jazz and classical music can be listened to online. I can even read a PDF version (in full colour) of The Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail. Amazing!

Speaking of newspapers, a recent Globe and Mail had, on its front cover, a picture of Stephen Harper side by side with one of the actors from Trailer Park Boys, as the article established a genealogical link between the two. The immediate reaction by most of my colleagues here was disdain for this obviously pro-Liberal rag. In fact, I’ve noticed some things that indicate just how Conservative and anti-Ontario this place is! Aside from NEVER showing a Maple Leafs game on TV, I’ve heard Ontario being referred to as the province that is God’s least favorite (this statement made jokingly during a sermon at a church of all places!) and that Ontarian is just full of whiners with fake cows. I have to admit that I have not had one bad cow experience yet, but I digress. Seeing as Harper's riding is here in Calgary, I can see why he has such a strong following here. And people never forget that Ralph Klein is Conservative and what he has done for this province (despite having put his foot in his mouth a few times when it comes to federal politics).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home