Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

YUMMY!

Every so often, one has a meal that is worthy to be remembered. It was a simple meal, but one that I will remember for some time: smothered in Club House Montreal Steak Spice, topped with Spicy Diana Sauce, and broiled in the oven on rack position 4 for 13 minutes, the 8 oz steak I had was JUST AWESOME!

Ode to Timbit

Although I never actually got a chance to introduce myself to you, because you are nocturnal and I only ever visited you when you were asleep;
Although you lived in a multi-level condo that rivaled those built by Donald Trump, and snuggled up to shreds of torn Kleenex which you made into a bed;
Although you will now be a permanent resident of the Blue Mountain glades, a place that means so much to me,
and each time I blaze past on my Burton,
and each time I reach for a Kleenex,
and each time I walk into a Timmy’s and my eyes land on a Dutchie,
I will remember you.

(in memory of Sam and Anna’s dwarf hamster)

Amazing Race stops in Toronto

I haven’t been following the latest installment of this reality TV series (now in its, what, 5th season?) affectionately called the Family Edition. I was working the night shift and the season finale was being shown. Well, one of the final challenges stopped in Toronto. Perhaps because I haven’t been thinking about it lately, but all of a sudden, a wave of “homesickness” rushed over me. Which is weird because I really do consider Calgary home now: I’ve applied for Alberta Health Care (have to pay $44 a month now for “public” health care), I’ve traded my Ontario license plates for an Alberta one (you only need to put a plate on the rear of the car) and I’ve finally unpacked all the boxes and bags that came from Toronto. But, seeing my old digs near the Toronto harbourfront was exciting (like hey, I’ve run there or I’ve had coffee there) and nostalgic (who would’ve thought that I would be so happy to see the CN Tower!). It was like seeing an old friend. I guess it’s because I have no memories of Calgary. Yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adah said...

I saw the Amazing Race episode last night too and had the exact same reaction! Isn't that funny! I had homesick pangs for some reason, even though I have been away from Toronto for 5 years now...
Glad to hear that you are settling into your new home in Calgary - stay warm!

12/14/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home