Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, December 22, 2005

THE MIRACLE OF LIFE

This will be the first Christmas that I'm away from my core group of family and friends. I'm okay with this because I feel that Christmas is often a time of year that has been overhyped by flashy marketing, causing people to act irrationally, like spending money frivolously or deciding to volunteer at a soup kitchen when throughout the year they have not. People also get sentimental at this time of year, often re-establishing contact with that friend that they have not talked to since last Christmas, as if because of the time of year, a lack of commitment to a relationship is excusable. I find this ironic during a time when we are commemorating someone whose life demonstrated the preservation of relationships through the investment of time and care (no, not Santa Claus...) I think that friendships and "family-ships" shouldn't change throughout the year!

But, what a delight it was for me to connect with my Western cousins whom I've not seen for some time. The last time was in Toronto, when the rest of the family got to meet their newest "addition" - Lienne. Well, Lienne is turning 3 this April and the Mah's have another addition: Caelen was born this past October 4. Since Calgary is only 3 hours or so from Edmonton (or specifically Spruce Grove, where they live,
which is just outside of Edmonton), I made the trip out to visit my family. It was great! I got to see their new place, which is a cleverly designed open-concept home tucked away behind a golf course. Caelen was wide awake when I first met him and he was such a delight! Apparently, he loves it when you put him down on the changing table. Lienne was not there as she was attending a party, but her installment within the home is pretty obvious, judging by the different toys placed around the house. I'm looking forward to more visits (and a chance to try out their "bounce house")!

Well, I now prepare for visitors from Toronto. It should be an amazing week of snowboarding, snowboarding, and oh, did I mention snowboarding? My Burton is all tuned up, sharpened and ready to go. Kickinghorse, here I come!



Here's Caelen, he's so small! But he didn't seem to mind that I was holding him - but I think that he was wishing that I was a changing table!


This is Caelen's older sister Lienne. Apparently, she'll talk your ear off. Wow, I don't think I can ever remember a time when I was the same height as a bannister!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home