Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, September 22, 2006

THE PEN IS MIGHTER THAN ADMIN PRIVILEGES WHEN SOAKED IN MUD FROM SCHENECTADY

Video version of this blog

A little boy is walking out with his mom after an hour of swimming.
"What's in there?"

"Oh, that's the gym. That's where the big boys and girls play basketball and run around."
"But I don't see him!"
"Who don't you see?"

"Jim, I don't see Jim!"

The English language; often stifling, yet it can be so innocent when wielded by the right person.

Well, this is the third time that it's happened, so I think I've stumbled on how to get full computer administrative rights at work! Especially in larger organizations, restrictions on what you can install on your computer is meant to safeguard against nasty viruses and things that might cause the worker to be counterproductive. So, once again, I put in a request to have my PDA connected to my computer, so I can synchronize my schedules, an innocent enough request aimed at improving productivity I guess. What always happens is that IT sends someone to install the right drivers. For some weird reason, the PDA's driver never agrees with the operating system. So, after spending most of the day trying to connect the two, inevitably, the IT person gives up in frustration, and grants me full computer administrative privileges, just to make it work!

I'll be off to Van-town shortly for the Muddy Buddy Race. Originally, I was going to throw my bike on top of the car and make the drive out. Last week, my partner emailed me and said that due to some flight complications, she couldn't make it. I was going to just forfeit the race. But then I talked to my sister who is out that way right now and she agreed to race with me! It's a short trip, but it'll be great hanging out with her.

And speaking of traveling, I'll be flying to Schenectady at the end of October and to Toronto during the second week of November for some courses. Already liking the perks of this new position!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home