Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, June 29, 2006

LEAVING YOUR MARK

Video version of this blog

It seems to be a common human trait, posessing the desire to leave some sort of impression, a legacy expressing who you are, in the present time or even at a time when you are no longer around. Like the time, as a young boy, I inscribed my name into the freshly poured concrete in front of my house. Or another time, when no one was looking, I spray painted my initials onto one of the walls inside the (former) warehouse at Mississauga Chinese Baptist Church. (yikes, vandalizing a church?!?!) Many of my visitors to Camp Timmys have noticed some large, white numbers etched onto the side of a hill just south of where I live.









How big are the numbers? The screen capture on the right is a Google Maps shot from outer space!

This is Battalion Park, created by Canadian soldiers during WWI. While these soldiers where waiting for their next mission, they were stationed here for training. During their days off (read "for fun"), the soldiers would carry sizeable white stones up the hill and form what would be the numbers corresponding to their battalion. So, troups 113, 51, 151, and 137 have permanently left their marks on Signal Hill. In total, over 16,000 stones were carried up to accomplish this!

While patiently standing in line for a much needed double double fix, I notice a family who has just picked up their order and is about to exit the coffee shop. They stop at the door and notice a colourful strip posted just beside it, bearing the markings that indicated specific height levels. The son is the first one to stand with his back against this strip while the father notes how tall he is. Then the father takes his turn. The mother, who was carrying all the food, whips out her camera and snaps a few pics. They were having a blast! I didn't have the heart to tell them that they already had their pictures taken by the security camera and that the height strip is meant to help police catch would be/successful robbers by providing an accurate height description!

And it's not just humans who like to leave marks. I just had one of the most bloody beach volleyball experiences. And it wasn't from all the diving that I normally do, although there was an incident where my shin collided with my partners big toe, leaving a healthy gash. I'm talking about mosquitos. I have never experienced being assaulted by some many aggressive mosquitos! THEY JUST KEPT COMING!! It got to the point where I gave up trying to swat them because I had to focus on the game. I think, at one point, my entire left arm felt like it was being stung all at once. Once the last game was done, I sprinted to the car and dove in, not even bothering with towelling down and not really caring that I was dumping all this sand inside. Only after I had rolled up the windows and closed the sunroof did I even dare to look down at the carnage. Blood smears everywhere, on all my limbs from the very few times I successfully swatted one of these blood thieves. It really looked like I was in a fight or something. The sight after showering off all the sand and blood wasn't any better. Bumps of varying sizes landscaped all my exposed skin area, including my (hair deficient) head because these buggers managed to get underneath my cap!











Well, here's a kid who will definitely leave his mark!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude... you look like a Shaolin monk ready to do some tiger or monkey move!

7/04/2006  
Blogger Duffshot said...

The look of determination is actually pain. The arm would be, essentially, useless as there are over 50 bites on that side alone! Someone pass the deet!

7/04/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home