Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, September 22, 2007

ONLY IN COW-TOWN!

After a fairly uneventful flight from D.C., through T.O., I grab the next cab, a maroon coloured sedan. Not more than 50 metres into the trip, the cabbie takes a call on his Bluetooth ear-piece. I'm not perturbed by his lack of client decorum and I stare out the window, just glad to be home. We pull up to a light. I see another cabbie return to his car, stopped behind a SUV. I assume that the SUV cut off the cab and the cabbie gave this driver a piece of his mind. Strangely, I'm disappointed that I arrived seconds too late to catch a heated exchange. Our cab is in the left turn lane and so we have to wait for the next green. The SUV and the cab behind him are in the lane beside us, one that proceeds straight and they have now a green. There's no movement. Oh boy! Perhaps the SUV is determined to really get on the cabbie's case - I might get to see something interesting! As if on cue, the cabbie dashes out of his cab and boldly approaches the SUV's driver side door. He swings it open. The driver of the SUV throws up his arms in surrender and the cabbie reaches into the cabin...

But, there's no fight, no altercation. Instead, the cabbie reaches down and disengages the emergency brake. The driver of the SUV reacts sheepishly and gives the cabbie a smile of gratefulness. The cabbie waves to the driver of the SUV, "no problem at all!". He returns to his cab, his fare patiently waiting for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home