Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

WHAT A DAY!

Of course, the energy market in Alberta decides to behave wonky on the day I take on my first 12 hour day-time rotation. Because certain generating plants were down, the price of electricity in the province became very volatile. Whenever price hits $1,000 per megawatt, things in the office become a little crazy, because one of our goals is to ensure that our own power plants don't pay that much for electricity. At the same time, we are also managing energy positions that include excess energy. For these, we would ideally like to sell them back to the market at higher prices. So, you can see that there are conflicting interests which requires different analysis and strategies. Of course, me being the newbie is just overwhelmed by the time we're 1/2 hour into the day (which is at 7:30 a.m.) I don't know where all the files are that I need to access and it seems like I'm tripping over all the processes that seem so second nature to others. I think the Director sensed this and made it a point to come over and make sure that I was asking for clarification before doing something haphazardly. Yup, not a lot of love going around when the place is buzzin'! Oh well, chalk that up to experience because I get to do this all over again tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Tangs said...

hang in there tim. i am sure you did fine for your first day after such a short training period. have you had any burger runs yet this week?

11/01/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home