Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Monday, January 30, 2006

ROAD TRIP TO JAY!

Perhaps I HAVE been spoiled by being so close to the Rockies, but Jay Peak seemed a lot smaller to me than what I remembered from 2 years ago. Nevertheless, this 3 day snowboarding trip was still amazing as I was able to spend time with close friends. Despite the thin snow cover on the mountain, it was still pretty good riding. Thankfully, no broken bones or concussions, just some sore quads to show for some hard riding!

TEA TIME
A tradition, it seems, has formed where we will find a nice, covered patch within the glades, and have "tea". It first started 2 years ago at Jay when S and I decided to take a break within the Beaver Pond Glades. He happened to have with him a couple of snack kits containing crackers and some fancy tuna spread. I remember it being so peaceful in there, with the mountains serving as a beautiful backdrop; it was definitely one of those defining moments which warranted the beginning of a new tradition. So, we decided to invite everyone in our condo to join us for tea time, and this time we were armed with pumpernickel rounds (not that good, actually), soft lobster pate, and ice tea. This time, we parked ourselves in the "baby glades" and had a peaceful tea time. It was funny how this whole ritual was so similar to communion, as we passed along the tea-time "sacraments", even drinking our tea out of small plastic vessels!

WEED TIME
There is a log house in the middle of the baby glades. I'm not sure what it was built for, but I definitely know what it has become. One time, while gliding by this familiar structure, I noticed 3 boards leaning up against the log house. I didn't think much of it until the smell hit me like a concussion! That definitely was not a fireplace inside causing all that smoke escaping through the window!

EAT TIME
Our meals:
Fri lunch: Chunky soup (I forget the exact name, but it reminded me of a water-y chili because it had beans and wild rice in the soup), toasted English muffins and trail mix
Fri apres: M&M's on steriods, Chinese shrimp crackers, Pringles
Fri dinner: spaghetti with ground beef sauce, steak, Little Penguin cabernet
Fri siu-yea: Jello with fruit cocktail and evaporated milk

Sat breakfast: Go Lean cereal, S's bite sized muffins, scrambled egg on muffin with cheese, trail mix
Sat lunch: Tea Time in the glades
Sat apres: Tostitos with Stag chili, oysters on toast
Sat dinner: pasta with clam chowder sauce, super meatballs, corn
Sat siu-yea: Kettle-corn popcorn

Sun breakfast: Oh Diana chicken, french toast
Sun lunch: chicken sandwiches, poutine, double bacon cheeseburger pizza!

PEE TIME
Well, that's what happens when you watch Wedding Crashers (the uncorked version, of course) with a group of people who've just enjoyed some Little Penguin. I've seen it before, but I still laughed pretty hard!

We were all set to leave Vermont by 4 p.m, as scheduled, with the intention of getting back to Toronto by midnight, affording the option for those who needed to take the TTC to do so, myself included. I had arranged for a car to be left at Kipling. Well, as we got on the bus, we learned that one of the people on our bus got injured in the afternoon, having her forehead sliced open by another rider while she was on the ground. She needed stitches and was taken to the hospital. So, our coach had to go pick her up. So, we actually didn't leave Vermont until 6 p.m. Add to that bad weather in Montreal, a dinner stop and 2 rest stops, American Beauty, Red Eye and Zoolander, we didn't pull in until 3 a.m.! So much for taking the subway. Well, thanks to S (and K who fought so persistently to drive me as well!) who drove me all the way to Kipling, saving me from having to call a cab. So, at 4:30 a.m., I lie awake thinking about the weekend's trip. And I smiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home