Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, April 27, 2006

FOOD MUSINGS

The Delta Hotel, joined to the Calgary International Airport, is located on the departure level, making it a very convenient place to stay. That is where G decided to stay overnight, before heading off for a meeting in Kelowna. So, we met up for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. This restaurant has a buffet option, or you can order from the menu. Wanting to spend more time seated and catching up, we both decided on the menu option. Feeling patriotic, I order the "Great Canadian" from the menu, a mouth watering montage of eggs (anyway you like), bacon/ham/sausage, potato hash and toast, with unlimited coffee and juice. When my plate arrives, I look at it, then look at the person sitting at the table next to us who has gone for the buffet option. No word of a lie, I could have just gotten up, walked to the buffet table and assembled a more appetizing (and certainly more plentiful) plate! Luckily, food wasn't the main focus my unexpected get-together with G. It's always a blessing to spend time with someone whom I consider a good friend and mentor.

I had a much better breakfast (food-wise) experience this past weekend, when I was introduced to The Cheesecake Cafe by G & J. D and I met up with them after church for brunch. Huge portions, delicious flavours (I had the smoked salmon benedict) and, when you first walk in, you are welcomed by this amazing, glassed display of cakes! To soak up the resulting uncontrolled drool, they offer a plate of steaming fresh baby muffins for you to choose from. Most of our conversation centred around camping and biking and trailblazing. I AM SO STOKED FOR THE SUMMER! Technically, July and August are the summer months here and June and September are the "shoulder" months. It's actually better to go during the shoulder months as there are less tourists!


The night before, I went to Velvet with J & D, a quaint little lounge in the freshly renovated Grand Theatre. This theatre reminds me a lot of The Grand Theatre in Kingston. They have a decent menu and a pretty impressive wine list (the first place in Calgary that I have found to carry bottles from Alsace, France). I opted for dessert since I already had dinner. HAND MADE MACADAMIAN NUT ICE CREAM!! It was so good!

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ Lam said...

All there is to say/do is....

"MMM"...*Drool*...

Friends + Food = Great times!

4/27/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home