Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, April 22, 2006

TORTURE!

For about 3 days now, I've been nursing a sore throat. It's not a symptom of a broader illness like the flu, because the rest of my body feels fine: no fever, no runny nose, no nausea. Just an extremely annoying itchy throat. It's fine during the day, because I can a. induce the coughing mechanism as a means to scratch this itch when I'm by myself or b. hold the cough in when I'm in public but work on my abs (funny how the coughing mechanism uses so much of your core!) But at night time, when one is trying to sleep... when I breathe, it irritates the throat just enough to induce the coughing reflex. Which means no sleep. I got so fed up one night, that I went to Shopper's (yes, even in Calgary they are open until midnight) and picked up some Benylin. Helped just a bit, but after about 2 hours, it would be back. Torture in its most cruelest form...

Because of this, I've been putting off doing a long run until I'm fully recovered. These past 2 days, temperatures have hit the low 20's and so it was looking quite promising for a nice, outdoor run. Well, it's now back to 0 again and it's actually snowing. So much for that...

During one of the nice days, I had a chance to break out the old baseball glove. EPCOR has a softball team and were holding a practice. I don't think I've put that glove on for years! But it felt really good once I got back into it.

Oh well, G is flying through Calgary on Tuesday so I'll have a chance to have breakfast with him! And then next week, D and Z and N are driving from Toronto to BC, stopping off in Calgary for a couple of days. And then, 3 weeks after that, my parents are here! May is going to be a busy month.

3 Comments:

Blogger CJ Lam said...

Hope you feel better soon! I was sick with the flu a few weeks back, and it's not fun - I can totally relate to not being able to sleep. Although I'd be tired, I didn't like to sleep 'cuz I couldn't breathe properly! Haha, C was telling me that I made these funny noises...
Anyway, take care!

4/22/2006  
Blogger AChiu said...

Dr. Anna says, "I believe your itchy throat is a result of taking in TOO MUCH POWDER while snowboarding!"

The temperature dropped in Toronto too but instead of snow, I completed my long run yesterday in a mixture of wind and drizzle. Thank goodness for GoreTex!!!

Get well soon!

4/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advice from Dr. D ... lot's of rest, water, honey-lemon drinks are key, and then try some Tylenol #1 at night. You'll have to ask for the Tylenol #1 from the pharmacist, it's kept behind the counter 'cos it has codeine in it. Hope you get better soon!

4/23/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home