Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, April 16, 2006

POWDER POWDER!

As temperatures in Calgary climb to the high teens, I can't believe that I'm still writing about snowboarding. But that's just the thing about Calgary: travel less than 1.5 hours west and you are in a completely different world. During the gondola ride up, we chatted with a couple who were there for the 100th time this season. Wow! Imagine riding for a third of the year! When we got off, there was about 20cm of fresh powder waiting for us. The skies were clear and the sun was beaming. Which made it a little warm, which meant that the fresh powder quickly became slushy and chunky. Which meant that our particular riding approach was somewhat challenging. There are 2 schools when it comes to riding: technical and speed. G happens to be of the latter school and so most of my day was spent zooming down the mountain at super-sonic speeds. After lunch, it started snowing. REALLY HARD. It got to the point where each time we went up, there was another 2 cm of new powder. So, the afternoon was just amazing! Some of the best riding this year. Now, my dilemma. According to my Sunshine pass, my next visit is free. Obviously, I need to go again! Luckily, Sunshine is open all the way until May "too-fer"!

After cooking for D, we shot some stick at his parents' condo downtown. We then hopped over to Eau Claire to watch Lucky Number Slevin. He bumped into some of his university friends and we were both invited to join them at Joey Tomato's. As we sit down, one of his friends whispers to look behind us. There, sitting 2 tables away were a handful of the Colorado Avalanche and Calgary Flames, just having duelled at the Saddledome. Honestly, I didn't recognize them due to the fact that I don't follow either of these teams. But, I was quickly chastised for not recognizing Dion Phanuef, the Flame's popluar rookie (highly popular amonst the female followers for his charming good looks). He was walking around, signing autographs and just chatting it up with some of the other patrons.

I guess I can now officially mourn the Leafs, although it's a private mourning as everyone else in this town seems to be getting geared up for the Flames' playoffs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home