Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, March 03, 2006

HEIMLICH PLEASE...

If there was one thing I could wish for the world, it would be peace. Running a close second after that, I would love to give everyone a subscription to The Walrus magazine! I was reminded why I religiously go to my mail box every day with anticipation. And after days of disappointment, when all there is to be found are bills and junk mail, my patience is rewarded by the appearance of the latest issue of this magazine!

So, I was having dinner and reading the latest issue when an article makes me laugh. I have to stop eating for fear of choking on my food. Perhaps it's not really that funny but:
1. I'm from Toronto
2. I'm currently reading a book above the perspectives of affluence and economic equality
3. I'm Chinese and have some sort of genetic disposition towards free stuff.

Anyways, as luck would have it, it is one of the "free" articles posted on their website: http://www.walrusmagazine.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/24/0158257

Although this initiative seems like a nice ecological idea (i.e. it helps discourage stuff from getting to land fills), it's also a (sad) testament of how our society loves to be "junk junkies". But, it is something that relies on the concepts of community and dialogue, so I'd support it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious Tim!
What's even more funny is that I used to be on the listserve for FreecycleTO and had to de-list cuz my mailbox was always full of stuff (like concert tickets!...wish they were U2) that people wanted to trade away!

3/15/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home