Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, March 12, 2006

THIS IS GOD'S COUNTRY....

Having played a lot in the Alberta side of the Rockies, I thought that what is found on the BC side would be more of the same. Of course, I shouldn't downplay what Sunshinve Village and Lake Louise have to offer, because I've been super blessed to have been able to ride at these places all in the same season! But nothing prepared me for what I was to experience at Whistler Blackcomb. Words just don't do it justice...

People who warned me about the drive from Calgary to Whistler were right. It's a long drive (11 - 12 hours depending on how many stops you make). The weather was quite cooperative. That is until we got to the final stretch from Lillooet to Pemberton, Pemberton being the last city before you hit Whistler (the highly ribbed image representing towering peaks). I have never seen instant white out conditions before, but the storm hit us without warning. And probably on the most winding stretch of the journey, as the road curled and hairpinned and dissolved into one lane bridge passways. 30km took us close to 1.5 hours to pass. You don't understand the joy we all felt when we saw the flashing amber lights of an oncoming snowplow (and the prospect of freshly sanded roadway left in its wake)! To add to this anxiety, one of the passengers in the car had some serious tummy issues as a result from eating junk food all during the journey. We pulled off to the side of the road, but the passenger thought twice about wandering into pitch darkness and encountering a curious mountain goat. But like all things that are worthwhile in life, sometime you have to work for it...

Some lasting impressions about Whistler:
- during the 2 days that i was there, i feel like how i usually do when i get off an airplane. meaning that the sick elevation of this place was wreaking havoc on my ears. that's just insane!
- it's always sunny at the top because you are ABOVE the cloudline! Plus, riding at the top is what I would picture riding on the moon to be like: it's all rocks because you're also above the treeline.
- 2 days isn't nearly enough time to explore one of these mountains, let alone two! ideally, I would love to be there for 5 days: 2 days riding Whistler, 1 break day and then 2 days riding Blackcomb
- got to ride the proposed runs for the 2010 Winter Olympic Super G courses. i'm not sure why the guys' run is on a black diamond and the girls' run is on a blue...
- 45 minutes to do 1 run on 7th heaven!!!!!
- best apres-ski: the heart attack dish served at the outdoor Zog's kiosk called THE CANADIAN POUTINE: a generous serving of thick fries smothered in large cheese curds, thick gravy and an entire chopped-up sausage!
- best dinner: Sushi Village's Party Dinner with a Strawberry Sake Margarita

The amount of powder here is just amazing! Though most of the trails aren't groomed and thousands of people ride here daily, it is still possible to make fresh tracks on every run. Someone please wake me up.

And, as the latetst set of visitors from Toronto leave Calgary, ANOTHER couple arrives! Just for 2 days, I & S are actually en route to Vegas for a warm March Break. This is just awesome!

3 Comments:

Blogger AChiu said...

Your "visitors" have been picked up. News spread of the notorious tummy-acher who fought nature's call. Time for a detox eh? Would love to plan a future 2+1+2=5 day trip to God's Country! Early March 2007 anyone?

Have a safe & happy March Break in Vegas!

3/12/2006  
Blogger Duffshot said...

Trust me (seeing as you've riden all the places that I've riden), the experience at W/B is many notches above. I'm still drooling...

Thanks for driving the Yu's home (I consider that the final leg of the Camp Timmy's experience).

Oh, lest you be misled, it is not I that is going to Vegas (I wish! I've got to work this week). But I've edited my post - thanks!

3/12/2006  
Blogger AChiu said...

Oops! I did have a misunderstanding about Vegas.

3/12/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home