Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, May 18, 2006

WARMER TEMPERATURES

Warmer temperatures, at points soaring past the 30 degree mark, make it forgivable to think that Calgary went straight from winter (albeit a mild one, probably best described as an early spring that showed up sometime in January) to summer. Runners and riders are teeming on the paths, more than usual, donning tank tops and shades. Despite the obvious strain from working out, everyone seems to be in a good mood, smiling or waving to those passing in the opposite direction. There are definitely more Canada Geese now, waddling from one side of the path to the other, leaving fresh, umm, mementos which serve as obstacles to dodge on the course. Aside from the endorphin rush that comes from a nice run or ride, I look forward to the beautiful backdrop and the communal gathering of people who just love being in the outdoors.

With warmer temperatures, there are also other things that one notices. Especially whilst blazing down one side of Edworthy Park. The speed of this downhill descent fills me with glee and causes me to grin. But I soon regret this, as without warning, I ride right into a swarm of bugs. Soon, I find myself choking on the unfortunate few who have found their way into my mouth, my nose. Trying to hold my balance while fighting the urge to heave, I quickly swallow whatever's in my mouth. At least I can be grateful for nature's complimentary on-trail protein boost! This experience is not restricted to riding only. A couple of times, these unplanned "snacks" have also occurred while running. Oh well, you kind of get used to it...

Warmer temperatures are also bringing out another interesting phenomenon. I heard about it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was just silly. When I actually saw it, feelings of silliness turned to admiration. DINGHIES ON THE BOW RIVER! Apparently, one can jump into a dingy (or another type of inflatable conveyance) in Banff and laze the down this river which takes you all the way into the city's centre. Commonly, one travels with 2 of these devices: one for human transportation and one for beverage transportation. So, when I was out for my latest run along the Bow, I see fleets of these dinghies, moving slowly along the river, the occupants seeming to have a great time catching rays, laughing, and keeping well "hydrated"!

Warmer temperatures also have caused me to set my sights on camping in the Rockies. Having lugged with me my meager inventory of various camping gear, an Ontario hike leader certification (which I'm sure is not recognized here) and an awesome new 2-person tent from my loving small group, I'm so stoked about making the mere 1 hour drive west into open backcountry. Well, to solidify this whimsical desire into reality, members from the aforementioned small group will be making their way to Calgary in the middle of July. To do camping, of course. And not at the comfortable, amenity-filled Camp Timmy's, but the real thing surrounded by one of God's most magnificent creations. Though it's still a couple of months away, I am so excited, to the point that I'm starting to study different trail maps and thinking about what other gear I "need"!

Warmer temperatures was also one of the reasons why my parents chose May to come visit me. Sadly, they're not as into snowboarding or the cold as I am, so it would probably be a wasted trip for them to come in the winter. So, after arriving this Saturday, they will be here for the better part of a week and I'm looking forward to that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home