Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, September 23, 2007

THE 203-401 FELLOWSHIP QUEST TO CT IS COMPLETE!

There's a bit of nostalgia, as I reconfigure this place back to "just my home" after having served as Camp Timmy's for the past week. There is something about just having extra bodies around that make a place feel more habitable, and now the silence here is deafening. I have the radio going, a live internet stream coming through and the washer and dryer running, just to give me some noisy company. In true Shakespearean pathetic fallacy, it is raining outside, as I deliver my soliloquy to this faithful laptop. I ponder the activities that the latest visitors to Camp Timmy's undertook: a nice visit to Drumheller's dinosaur museum and Hoodoos, prime rib dinner at Smuggler's, a nice hike through Edworthy followed by a visit to another Timmy's, New Music Tuesday shopping, Settler's, an impromptu jam session after N went through a bass guitar crash course (affectionately called Camp Timmy's music program), an amazing hike in K-country and some sight seeing at Lake Louise and Banff. Not only were the activities memorable, but the ride going from place to place was showered with great conversations, quick jaunts down memory lane and a lot of singing to the radio. Not surprisingly, TSX has been renamed the Camp Timmy's bus. For me, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I didn't have much mess duty as Camp Director. S and N found great pleasure in preparing most of the dinners and I was blessed with seafood chowder, Gai Lan (S's favorite), turkey bone soup with lotus root and mushrooms (authentically Chinese, I might add), T-bone steak and grilled vegetables. Aside from the great food and conversation, what really impressed me was how great a team they were, maneuvering through my kitchen with much grace, coordination and cooperation. It was great reconnecting with them after over 2 years; in fact, after racking our aging minds, we remembered that the last time we met was at the Toronto Marathon in September 2005, one day before I moved to Cow-town.

And, as of 2007, the Bruised Bananas of 203 Colbourne and 401 Johnson have completed the quest to Camp Timmy's!

The latest additions to Camp Timmy's - thanks N and S!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home