Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, December 19, 2004

THE SERENITY OF NIGHT RIDING

[Nobody Loves Me Like You playing on Archos]
Well, it's been awhile since my last entry. I've been updating my written journal with details about my trip to Tremblant. I guess there was a lot to write, so it's taken me awhile to finish. So, it is quite fitting that my next weblog entry is also about snowboarding. I decided to go to Blue Mountain yesterday. I was actually hesitant at first because the weather forecasts were calling for tons of wet snow and abysmal driving conditions. What convinced me was having already bought snow tires and new Teflon windshield wipers (the old blades were pretty much well gone). So, I figured that the worst that could happen was to spend the night in Barrie or Collingwood. So, I started my trek at about 2 p.m. To my great surprise, that snow and those driving conditions never came!
[I'm All Yours playing on Archos]
It is hard to compare BM to Tremblant. It is noticeably smaller, reinforced by how short the chair lift ride is. However, there were many times where I had the entire 6 person chair to myself. I cherish these times because there isn't the usual chatter, and I have a chance to enjoy the silence. Night riding is quite an interesting experience because, as you look around, much of the landscape is hidden by the darkness. The only images you see are the shadows of the chairlift cast by a spot light on a screen made up of snow capped, barren trees. But this seemed to compound the intensity of the peace of riding alone on a chair lift. Not only is no there audible noise, there is also a noticeable absence in "visual noises". I had the feeling of complete peace on these occasions, and really felt a greater closeness to the Creator, His responses being the gentle swooshes of wind caught in my helmet. It has given me a new meaning and appreciation of night riding.
[I'm Not Ashamed playing on Archos]
Mind you, there are some interesting things that you do hear while riding a chair lift. One time, I was sitting beside 2 brothers and a couple of their friends. They were all skiers. The one that was speaking couldn't have been more than 6 years old. He was relaying to his audience what he had planned for the rest of the night. He was going to do 2 more runs. Then he was going to go home and have hot chocolate. After the hot chocolate, he was going to play X-Box. After that, he was going to sleep. Oh wait, he corrected himself. After X-Box, he was going to wait for his mom to go to sleep. Then he was going to watch TV, and THEN go to sleep. My, the carefree lifestyle of a 6 year old!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home