Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, June 24, 2005

INTERESTING THINGS I HEAR PEOPLE SAY

I recently went to see my doctor for my 'annual' physical, though the term is misleading because the last one was back in 2002. So, I had to fast the night before, pushing the 12 hour fast window pretty tight, as I finished the last bite of Ed's homemade ice cream with just minutes to spare! I've decided that there are some things that one should not hear while in a doctor's office. Some blood was drawn for testing and this was done by the receptionist who looked no more than 18. I usually look away because I don't feel the need to have to see an object piercing my skin. What's usually a quick prick turned out to be about 30 seconds of painful irritation. She said: "Your vein is moving! I can't seem to get it in." After drawing 4 vials of blood and closing off my gaping wound with a tiny piece of cotton and a band aid, she said: "Take off your clothes!" What. Oh, just the top. She was going to do an ECG on me. So, I'm lying on the patient bed, thinking to myself that this is some summer job gig she's got doing all these things (or maybe my doctor's cheaping out) - perhaps she's an aspiring med school student. Meanwhile, she is sticking these sensors all over my body. Finally, she says: "Don't move, don't talk!" Mmm. Haven't said a word to her yet; what makes her think that I'm in the mood for conversation now? My arm is numb, I'm half naked and I've got all these things connected to me...

There is nothing like breaking 12 hours of fasting with an extra large bowl of Pho!!

I had a great conversation with L., whom I met through the Habitat Toronto committee that I volunteer with. She's heading to South Africa at the end of August to take on a 3 week house-sitting gig! She's stumbled upon that on the Internet and decided to just go! She was in S.A. last year doing a Habitat Global Village build and has established some connections there. I guess she feels that her heart is there and saw this as an opportunity to go. She actually booked her plane ticket to come back 3 weeks after her sitting gig, so there is 3 weeks of who-knows-what. She is hoping to hook up with the Habitat affiliate there and see if she can volunteer on a build. What a smart idea! This way, she doesn't have to pay the enormous Habitat fee that comes with joining a Global Village build. She was sharing with me some of her previous trials and how she overcame them. Her joy definitely is now rooted in serving others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home