Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, May 19, 2005

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I finally became irritated enough by the fact that none of my pants fit anymore. Even my trusty belt is no longer cooperating, so I'm walking around like Kris Kross, pants nearly down at my knees. And it's not like I haven't had good use out of my current set of dress pants - bought them back in 1998 when I first started with the music school. As my parents are away on vacation, I decided to bring these pants to the cleaners to have them altered. The elderly man who received them took my measurements, asked me if I wanted them with cuffs or not, and told me that it was going to be $8. I went back a couple of days later to pick them up. When they rang up the total, it was $32 for 4 pairs. Aiya! $8 PER pant. Man, that's like another pair of pants. Goes to show that I should've waited for Mom...

So, now is the time to see if I truly can live up to the words I speak. In a previous post, I mentioned the sudden departure of three colleauges, due to corporate restructuring. Well, we found out today that our current business has been sold.
Click Here. EPCOR is totally moving in a different direction and were fortunate enough to find someone to buy the remaining customers of a business that they had already decided to exit. Ironically, this book of customers is only as attractive as it is today because we worked hard to get the house in order. Prior to our taking it over, it was handled very sloppily. But now that we have restored it to a well-oiled machine, we may be out of work. What kind of screwed up logic is that! Needless to say, many were shocked and upset. But, to put things in perspective, it's not like we're out of work today. Transitioning such a large block of customers takes time, anywhere from 4 to 7 months. So, some of us will be around for that, some of us may be re-deployed. Some will be offered packages. I'm still feeling optimistic about this company and today's revelation has not altered my loyalty nor my perspective. It just means that I may not be answering customer calls anymore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home