Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, September 01, 2005

MAORI PASSION

A community can have individuals that have different levels of passion. I tend to think that North Americans don't get too passionate about anything for fear of being politically incorrect or offending someone. Yet, I learned something about collective passion from the Maori people in New Zealand. Despite being displaced, subjugated and persecuted, certain things (namely their passion) have survived and speaks about their resilience. I would think that our society would much better if we all decided to destroy apathetic complacency with passion.

During our visit to Whakarewarewa, a Maori village in Rotorua, Michael, our Maori guide, concluded the tour with a Maori blessing. To not be disrepectful, I attempted to film this prayer without using the viewfinder (i.e. I palmed the camera and pointed the lense towards him), which will explain why he is not framed. But it's the passion with which he blessed us with that really touched me.



It is encouraging to see Maori influences embedded in many aspects of the New Zealand culture. The second official language is Maori; Maori people can be seen integrated within the workforce; even Christian church services are conducted in Maori. Perhaps one of the most amazing displays of Maori passion is when they perform their Haka (tribal dance). This is often used in their welcoming rituals and puts them (and their visitors) in touch with their spiritual and ancestorial roots. One of my most memorable experiences was sitting in a pub (uh, I mean establishment) watching the All Blacks (their national rugby team) play their rivals from Australia. They start all their matches by welcoming their opponents with the Haka. How can anyone not get psyched (or psyched out - observe the looks of concerns by their opponents!) when you watch the welcoming Haka performed by the players? Turn up the volume and listen to how the crowd hushes as they begin...



I was so tempted to get an official All Blacks rugby jersey - they look so cool! Alas, anything that says Addidas on it will always cost you an arm and a leg, so I settled for an All Blacks toque. By the way, none of my American teammates have ever heard of "toque" before! (get out, eh? You HOSER!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing to share about your experiences. This is very cool! Did you get to record any stories using your nifty Canada day mp3 player?

9/02/2005  
Blogger AChiu said...

I'm really enjoying hearing about your awesome experiences! Thanks for sharing them with such passion!

I must also thank you for discovering a way to post videos on Blogger. I have had drafts from April pending the ability to share video footage. I hope you don't mind my biting your discovery!

9/02/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home