Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, September 02, 2005

NZ PUT TO REST...

Well, I've devoted a lot of recent blog real estate to my recent New Zealand trip. Maybe I'm still trying to "live" there, maybe I've had so many experiences that I need an outlet to purge for fear of remaining overwhelmed. Last week's post-trip gathering was really good for me as it brought a sense of closure to this trip. Plus, I was able to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while (but yet who have supported me throughout this journey), to thank people for their partnership and to share about the impact of my experiences. But, life goes on. I'm positive that I'm a better person for having gone through this whole journey, which started in February when I decided to apply for a Habitat trip. 7 months, 1 attempted triathlon, 40 hours worth of flying and 1 completed house later, I can look back with much wonder and gratitude.

I've put a link to the Kodak Gallery site where various photo compilations have been placed. Just login with the email:
timinnz@gmail.com and the password: timinnz. Click "Play" to begin the slideshow. Bear in mind that this a collection of mine and my teammate's pictures, lest one thinks that all I did in New Zealand was take pictures!

Maybe I'm too much of a gadget lover, but a few things helped to enhance this trip. The Saucony dri-fit hat was perfect for early morning runs and keeping the sun out of my face during the build. Somehow, it manages to stay white! I was reluctant to take my Palm at first, but it certainly came in handy for tracking world time (I kept track of 3 time zones: Toronto, L.A. and Auckland) and it was my trusty alarm clock. I was worried that the batteries wouldn't last but, luckily, I was able to charge it each time I went to the internet cafe. Of course, my parents' Canon A85 allows me to relay my experiences in more than a thousand words. And finally, my nifty limited Canada Edition Samsung YP MP3 player (a gift). Originally, I had hoped to use its built in recording function to capture some of the partner family's thoughts. But alas, there was no partner family to converse with. However, it was such a joy to be able to throw on some of my favorite tunes late at night as I wound down and journalled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home