Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, February 02, 2006

DISAPPOINTMENTS AND REUNIONS

Ever since arriving in Calgary, the one family member that I've kept in touch most with is my 8 year old cousin, P. He seems to always be online and so he's constantly im'ing me. The most recent MSN thread:

me: hi p! guess i will see you tonight for dinner!
p: yuo ya
me: did you just get back from school?
p: yes
p: not happy
me: why? are you ok?
p: i cant go to my frind brithday you are coming over
me: oh; i won't be there for long; maybe you can go over to your friend's party after dinner...
p: nope the party end at 600
me: oh. sorry. :(
p: it ok

Ah, such innocence, perhaps feeling the rare sting of disappointment that his young life has yet to experience! I had dinner with him and his family and he soon forgot about his friend's birthday party and we had a great time.

I then headed over to my former Thursday night small group meeting. Though, I've been gone for 3 months, and was reminded of such by the very warm greeting I was met with, it was like I never left this group. The group was planning a community impact project and it felt so good to be around people with such strong social consciences. And though I won't be able to join them for their weekly gathering of the minds, a part of me will always be there; my experience with this group has molded my perspectives into what they are today. I REALLY HAVE MISSED THIS GROUP AS A CONSISTENT, RELIABLE ASPECT OF MY LIFE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home