Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, February 11, 2006

KEEP THE STOKE ALIVE!

This is why everyone who snowboards should buy a Burton board! I sent in my story about our adventure on the cliffs at Sunshine and Burton responded! They also sent some cool stickers - thanks Billy!






Having returned to home in Calgary and settling back into a routine, I've had time to reflect about my past week in Toronto. And one thing becomes very apparent to me. It relates to one of the biggest challenges that one experiences when moving to a different place. For me, time continues to pass, minute by minute, day by day. I do work, I do chores, I do exercise. When I was in Toronto, I did all these same things. But the difference is in HOW I remember doing those things. That is because I was surrounded by a community that took an interest in what I was doing and I had deep relationships with this community. So, regardless of whether it was working, going out to share a meal or just hanging out, relationship adds zip to an activity like a squirt of Sriracha. And I now realize that this happened quite often in Toronto. Whereas in Calgary, these moments are few and far between. Families that move as a unit have an easier time because there is always a default connection. I'm not saying that I am homesick and am ready to return to Toronto. Rather, I realize the value of community and also the patience required in building genuine relationships (after all, it took me 30 years to build up the ties I was blessed with in Toronto). It was such a blessing last week to be completely inundated by all these "memorable events" (hence so much I could blog about), most of which were initiated by others.


One thing that has been on mind since returning is how can my profession contribute to His Kingdom in the here and now. A software engineer can decide to create open source applications so that more people can benefit from innovation. A lawyer can advocate for the rights of children and the disenfranchised. A pharmacist can use her clout to move life saving drugs to areas where they are desperately needed. A teacher can impart the ethos of social consciousness on a demographic that is most impressionable. But what can an Energy Trader do? I'm still learning my trade and constantly keeping an eye open for where there are opportunities to make a difference. But I don't know enough to see if there will be such opportunities. Or perhaps this is just a "transition" period, as I continue to acquire skills that may lead me to something else. Or perhaps this is just a vocation, something I do to acquire resources so that I can support a ministry outside of work. It didn't help that Bono's recent talk at the National Prayer Breakfast was so moving! Mmmm. Still pondering...

Procrastinating from studying...


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to sound overly dramatic, Duffshot, but if all of a sudden, all the energy traders in Calgary disappeared, wouldn't there be catastrophic societal collapse in your neck of the woods? Okay, maybe that's a little bit too dramatic. So sue me.

Four years ago, when our company was acquired by an evil, American and publicly-traded corporation, I despaired. Man, what am I doing here helping the CEO push earnings higher every quarter so that faceless hordes of shareholders can be happy (and by extension, make the executives who hold hordes of stocks and options happy)? Why can't I have gone to med school and be in some developing country working with MSF? Or maybe I should've gone into civil engineering so that I could at least go overseas and help build irrigation systems or something. Or maybe I should have started that rock band in highschool, so that now, I can wheel and deal with prime ministers and presidents and people will actually listen to me when I talk about the poor and oppressed people of Africa? (Hmm... I think that might just be some latent fantasy masquerading as a legitimate musing.)

Okay, enough musing here. You better get back to your energy trading, and I better get back to my software coding. See ya.

2/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home