Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, February 04, 2006

MOM'S COOKING, MORE SETTLERS, AND NBA STARS

Relatively speaking, today was a pretty quiet day. My mom hosted a family dinner that was quite the feast. This was, in part, to make up for me missing the New Year meal last week, but more so as an excuse for my mom to cook a lot of amazing food (which she loves doing and is easier when there are more people enjoying it). It was also to celebrate "everyone's birthday", as observed in Chinese tradition. So, she actually had my dad pick up a birthday cake! After dinner, I went to my sister's house to play another round of Settlers. It's interesting: after each time I play this game, I find myself thinking more and more about strategies and scenarios. I'm thinking of making Settlers a regular thing while here in Calgary: first I'm going to look for my own set, then I going to find people to play/learn to play. After my brother-in-law won (once again!), we drove over to the Roof Lounge to meet up with T & C. This place is located on the top level of the Hyatt Hotel. A pretty cool place just to chill. The background music is unobtrusive, the decor is not too stuffy and they have a good selection of drinks. Yet, it's a popular place for celebrities and other famous people. Ah! I got to spend time with a cute blonde from Belgium; well, it's always a treat for me to have a Leffe. We also had good conversations about vocation, studies, camping and why a 24bit Tiff just doesn't cut it for medical images! I saw a guy who I'm pretty sure was Robert Horry (dude was like 6'10); it's possible because the Spurs are in town for a game this week. I had a great time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home