Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Thursday, September 27, 2007

WHAT'S UP, DOC?

We have these locked bins scattered throughout the office, used to collect sensitive documents that are then permanently destroyed. Call me paranoid, but I will often bring in personally addressed letters and junk mail from home to dispose of in these bins. It happened right after a doctor's appointment where I had asked for a prescription for Malaria and traveler's diarrhea medication, for my trip to South Africa. It's pretty easy to guess what happened next when I transported both the destruction-destined documents and the prescription in the same knapsack. And so, I find myself slapping myself on the forehead as I rummage for the phone number of my doctor's office. And, as luck would have it, the doctor has just started her 2 week vacation. I was told to call back after she returned, which I did. I was then told that I could come by and pick up the rewritten prescription when it was ready, probably in a couple of days as the doctor settled back in after her vacation. I don't hear anything after a week, so I call again, making my request once more. I guess it doesn't help that I speak to a different receptionist each time and that they don't keep an account of each call that I make. This time, I'm told that they will fax the prescription directly to a drug store of my choice, citing some procedure that prevents them from writing prescriptions in an uncontrolled manner. I'm cool with that. They tell me to call back in 2 days to confirm. I do. This time, they say the doctor CAN re-write a prescription and that it should be ready in another 2 days. 2 days pass and this time I get a call from the office. Unfortunately, the doctor can't write the prescription because too much time has elapsed since my original appointment. I will need to book another appointment. I was patient up to this point. But when I heard I had to book another appointment to see the doctor, for whom I had to wait 4 months before getting an appointment in the first place, I just about lost it. Sensing my frustration, the receptionist mentioned that I could see one of the walk-in doctors, that it was not busy right now, and that I could probably see someone tonight quickly. Resigned, I hop over and wait. Thankfully, the wait wasn't too long and I'm asked to sit in an examination room within 10 minutes. Shortly after, the door opens and in walks a tall, dark skinned male doctor.

I explain to him my situation, my embarrassment for losing the original prescription and if he could write me another one. He speaks with an interesting accent and asks me where I will be traveling to. I tell him South Africa, in about 3 weeks' time. He pauses, and replies in that curious accent, "I'm from South Africa". We start chatting about where I am going specifically, and it ends up that I will be really close to his home town. We start chatting about how I will be helping an orphan aid organization, doing construction. He's looking at me, but his eyes are distant. "My country used to be a very prosperous country, but it is so broken now". We are done our visit and I can now obtain Cipro and Malarone without breaking any laws. As I leave, he shakes my hand (most likely because, in Canada, that is a more acceptable display of expressing deep gratitude between 2 men than hugging) and tells me how touched he is that someone is taking the time to care. Any feelings of frustration I had disappeared at that moment. I'm really no longer a believer of coincidences. Who would've thought that such a mindless act would lead to this encounter?

2 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

An amazing story. May blessings abound.

9/29/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love those sacred moments :) Have a wonderful trip! dkf

9/30/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home