Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Friday, October 05, 2007

HEARD IN THE FIELD

An excerpt from We Africans Have Long Stories by Laura Pope (a book written by a daughter of one of my South African teammates)

A GOAT

Pinky, Gift, Presilla, Dauna and I are walking single file along a dirt path surrounded by maize crops on the way to our next Home Based Care patient. Dauna is talking with Presilla.

Presilla, what a beautiful dress! It looks so good on you.
Why does it look good?
It fits your shape and your figure. You have a beautiful figure.
But what use is a figure when I have no husband?
Would you like to marry?
No, I don't need a man.
That's right, you don't need a man. You're a strong woman.
I just need gode.
O, a goat? Yes, then you can milk it and provide for your family?
No, GODE.
Well a goat provides a better relationship than a bad man anyway.
No, GODE.
Yes, a goat. That's a good goal.
GODE!
Goat?
I finally interrupt: Dauna, she's saying GOD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home