Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Saturday, March 19, 2005

GIFTS

(written for March 19, 2005)
I sat in a training session today as I've decided to help out with my church with setting up and tearing down. Since this church operates out of a public movie theatre, "the church" has to be assembled and dismantled each week before the first showing of Spongehead Bob or whatever movie the general public have come to see. The entire church fits into 3 large road cases and 2 smaller ones! Once packed up, they are rolled into a trailer and driven away to be stored offsite somewhere.

Although I had signed up for the set up/tear down team, they were also doing training for more sound people to try to fill a big need there. I haven't done much sound ministry for the past 3 years. I suddenly realized how much I missed sitting behind a mixer. More importantly, I felt guilty that the 12 months I spent studying this subject has been shelved. It was like getting asked by a close friend about a birthday gift that they had given to you a while back and whether you've been enjoying it still, when you know full well that you haven't seen it in ages. I extended this thought to all the other things that I've been "gifted" with, not necessarily all material, contemplating what else I've shelved.

I've got to stop thinking that I'm entitled to all the 'things' that I've been given stewardship over because that leads me to take it for granted, leaving it miscared for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home