Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, April 24, 2005

NEW REVELATION TO AN OLD VERSE

I am constantly surprised (even though I shouldn't be) by the revelations or "eureka moments" that I have while listening to the sermons on Sundays. A follow up to the last 2 weeks' well attended series "Decoding The DaVinci Code" was presented, focusing on the life and teachings of Jesus. One such startling moment happened near the end of service today, as things were just about to wrap. A question about what the "right" secret truths to believe in are was being addressed. Paul reveals a secret truth in Philippians 4:12-13. Verse 13 is one of those oft-quoted verses that Christians cite when sending a written card or when they sign someone's summer camp handbook. I always thought that it made people seem so spiritual because it was a wisdom verse that could apply to any situation, especially when things go wrong. Basically, Paul is saying that he knows what it is like to be in need and plenty and that he has learned the secret to be content in every situation. He then shares the secret truth: I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. When read in context, he is saying that by learning about Christ's life and applying His teachings, one will learn contentment. Jesus' teachings recalibrates our perspective of what's most important. Living in prosperity or need can be distracting, directly or indirectly causing us to live like you don't need God. Verse 13 should be interpreted as "He gives me the strength to focus on Him SO that I can find contentment."


At the end of second year at Queen's I decided to do something special for Katherine. Our friendship had grown quite close and it seemed quite sentimental that we'd be departing, going back to our respective home towns (Richmond Hill, Mississauga). So, I went and got 2 matching silver rings. The idea was to present these rings as a gesture of our continued friendship over the summer, after singing her a ballad that I had also written for her. I had the rings engraved on the inside of the band. Ironically, I had engraved "Phil 4:13". (I seem to recall that she never did wear that ring...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home