Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Sunday, April 24, 2005

PRIDE BEFORE A FALL BEFORE PRIDE

Having just completed climbing the CN Tower, I was feeling good because my time was a little faster than the first time I did it. I was jogging back to the condo to get ready for a wedding that I had been invited to. At one point, I was musefully thinking how all the triathlon training has gotten me in SUCH good shape, when all of a sudden I stepped on a patch of mud. Before I knew it, I was tumbling to the concrete pavement. Despite it not even registering with me that I had just fallen flat on my butt, I bolted back up, desperately hoping that no one saw me fall. It wasn't until I got to the condo and into the shower that I looked down to see a mess of caked mud and blood! I managed to scrape the entire side of my left lower leg, but just superficially. Now I'm sporting the constant reminder of how pride can be a distraction with annoying consequences. I'm also reminded that usually when I injure myself, it's the unlikely smaller things that cause it (like being put in the hospital by getting a badminton shuttlecock in the eye, getting a concussion from indoor volleyball, fracturing my ankle while jumping my bike off a maintenance hole cover, losing a tooth from a baseball that bounced off the pavement). Though I'm a little older and have better control of my coordination, I'm still a klutz...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home