Riding above the level of mediocrity

A "duffshot" is an improperly planted sapling, planted too shallow in scree and not deep enough to reach the life giving top soil. It is usually a sign of laziness and means having to replant an entire plot. It is a reminder to me of doing things with integrity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Canada
Kiva - loans that change lives

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

THIS IS MY FATHER'S WORLD

God bless my father's heart. His motivations are always pure, just the execution is a bit clumsy.

I received a call from my Mom who was a bit frantic. I was worried, because she was calling me from her land-line, and not Skype. I just spoke to her yesterday and it would only be an emergency to hear from her 2 days in a row. She had arrived home to find a new computer sitting in the place where her old computer sat. New gear excites me, but it frightens my Mom. After finally figuring out how to turn the thing on, alien blue lights and all, she tries to open a document she was working on. No dice. After some fussing around, she realizes that this new one cannot connect to the Internet.

When my Dad returned home that night, he had some great news to share. "I took the computer to one of my deliveries asked a guy how to make my computer faster. He laughed and said there wasn't much that could be done. So, I bought a new one!" Obviously, my Mom didn't receive this as good news at all, and immediately got on the phone with her son.

After 2 post sale service calls, a transfer of all the files from the original computer, a long distance call to Calgary for the router WEP key, the computer finally gets set up.


And kudos to my Mom. She is able to do some pretty advanced things: composing spreadsheets and documents in Chinese (through keystrokes, not with a tablet), emailing people in various languages and with various attachments and, if said recipients can't view the various attachments, she knows how to scan a "hard copy" and then resend as an attachment! She shared with me that most of her peers have steered clear of computers, perhaps out of fear, perhaps out of laziness. I'm really proud of my Mom!

I'm proud of my Dad too. He is always thinking not of himself, but of others. No one can fault him for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home